Academic attire (cap and gown) is required for all graduates who plan to participate in Winter Commencement. Attire can be purchased at three Ann Arbor locations:
Address / Phone Number
|Barnes and Noble @ U-M North Campus||2102 Bonisteel Boulevard
(734) 668-6022 or SM743@BNcollege.com
|Ulrich’s Bookstore||1200 South University Avenue
*Note: Doctoral attire is not available
|Michiganensian Yearbook||420 Maynard Street
(734) 418-4115 x1247
*Note: Doctoral attire is not available at the Michiganensian
Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree Candidates
Academic attire may be purchased begining mid-October.
Master’s Hood Color Information
The Colors of the various disciplines are as follows:
|Architecture & Urban Planning||Blue Violet|
|Literature and Arts||White|
|Environment and Sustainability||Russet|
|Public Health||Salmon Pink|
|Public Policy||Peacock Blue|
Honor cords may be worn for designation of membership or achievement.
Check with your organization or department for honors cord guidelines.
Doctoral Degree Candidates
Academic attire may be purchased or rented (including hoods, caps and gowns).
Hoods are mandatory for all doctoral degree recipients.
- Rental attire may be reserved begininng Tuesday, October 1, 2019 through Wednesday, November 27, 2019.
- Gown sizes and hood colors cannot be guaranteed after Friday, December 6, 2019
- Rental attire should be returned by Wednesday, December 18, 2019.
- Custom attire can be purchased any time throughout the year. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the delivery of custom attire orders.
- Doctoral students will receive a University of Michigan Ph.D. hood corresponding to your doctoral degree.