Winter Commencement FAQ’s
- Where should I stay?
- Check out Destination Ann Arbor for local hotels.
- How does seating work?
- Seating is general admission and is available on a first come, first serve basis.
- What if I have a wheelchair?
- Guests with a wheelchair or other accessibility needs should connect with an Event Team Member upon their arrival at Crisler to be directed to the best seating area. Graduates with a wheelchair or other accessibility needs should enter Crisler Center through the service tunnel and connect with a Marshal or Event Team Member for assistance.
- Which gate should I enter?
- Graduates should enter through Gate 1 at Michigan Stadium and make their way through the Crisler Maize Rage entrance. Guests should enter through the Crisler NE or SW entrances.
- Do I need tickets?
- All students and guests are required to have tickets. Children two years of age and older must have a ticket.
- How do I get tickets?
- Tickets will be available to redeem online in late November. An email will be sent to all eligible graduates when tickets are live.
- How many tickets do each student get?
- Students will receive one student ticket and up to six (6) guest tickets.
- Are tickets free? Can I get more than the allotted amount?
- Tickets are free of charge. If you would like more than the allotted six (6) guest tickets, we suggest reaching out to a fellow student who will be attending the ceremony and asking if you could use any of their unclaimed tickets. Note: The sale of commencement tickets is strictly prohibited.
- Are the names read at the ceremony?
- Student names are not read at the ceremony unless you are a Ph.D. student.
- Do students walk across the stage?
- Students do walk across the stage at the University-Wide ceremony
- Can you attend the ceremony before you graduate?
- Students are not eligible to participate in the ceremonies before they graduate. For exceptions, reach out to the Office of the Registrar.
- When is the last day to apply for graduation and have my name in the printed program?
- October 20, 2023, however, please note that only students who graduate in the fall ‘23 semester will have their names listed in the winter commencement program booklet.
- When does the ceremony end / how long is it?
- The ceremony begins at 2:00 p.m. and will end at approximately 4:00 p.m.
- I’m graduating, when should I show up? And where?
- If you are a student, doors will open at 12:30 p.m. If you are a guest and would like to see the graduates process into the stadium, plan to arrive before 1:30 p.m. The ceremony will begin at 2:00 p.m.
- Will there be a webcast of the ceremony?
- Yes, the live stream will be available on the website the day of the ceremony.
- Are bags allowed?
- Yes, but they may be subjected to a bag search
- Wheelchairs will be available at the southwest entrance to push guests with mobility issues to their seat, but must be returned once the guest is in their seat and cannot be kept throughout the ceremony
- Wheelchairs for use on commencement day may be rented at the following locations:
Advanced Medical Solutions
5333 McAuley Drive #1106
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
CareLinc Medical Equipment & Supply
3820 Plaza Dr #1
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
We recommend calling as early as possible to reserve a wheelchair.
- This ceremony will be photographed by Michigan Photography.
- Graduate photo appointments will be available on campus in December 2023. Booking details will be available in early November 2023.
- Who is eligible for this ceremony?
- Eligible students include: students who graduated during the Winter 2023 term, the Summer 2023 term, and & students graduating in the Fall 2023 term.
- I am graduating this semester but want to attend Spring Commencement – how does that work?
- All students who are completing their degree requirements this semester (fall) are eligible to attend either Winter Commencement 2023 or Spring Commencement 2024. There is nothing that needs to be done in the meantime, but please keep an eye out for ticketing information that will be sent next semester.
PARKING / TRAFFIC
- Where can I park?
- Complimentary parking is available in the U-M lots surrounding the Crisler Center.
- The Pioneer High School parking lot, located on the southwest corner of Stadium Boulevard and Main Street, may offer parking for a fee. Pioneer High School should not be contacted directly regarding parking. For questions, visit michigangamedayparking.com. To avoid parking violations, please observe all posted notices and regulations.
- How close can an uber get to the stadium? Where can I get dropped off and picked up?
- We recommend that any rideshare or transportation services drop off at the southwest entrance.
- Guests with mobility concerns to be dropped off at the southwest entrance, nearest the location of parking for persons with accessible needs (state disability permit required).
- Where do you get stoles and cords?
- Graduates may wear cords of societies/organizations they are members of. The distribution, awarding, and the wearing of honor cords for the academic distinction is generally overseen at the program or department level. Students would want to seek details from their own program or department. The University (at the institution level) doesn’t regulate, promote, or discourage the wearing of honor cords. In general, the decision to wear honor cords (what color, type, etc) is at the discretion and good judgment of the graduate. We recommend that students consult with their program and department.
- When do you get the diplomas and where are they sent to?
- Diplomas are sent from the Office of the Registrar and are sent to your permanent address unless you have a separate diploma address listed in Wolverine Access.
- I graduated in (year before) can I still participate in the ceremony?
- Please reach out to the office of the registrar to confirm your eligibility. Phone number: 734-764-6280 Email: [email protected]
Useful links for Graduates