The student speaker for the 2014 will be Sam Facas. Congratulations, Sam!
The Office of University and Development Events invites upcoming graduates to enter its Student Speaker Competition. The winning student must be eligible to receive a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree at the conclusion of Winter Term 2014, Summer Term 2014, or Fall Term 2013.
Once all entries have been received (see below), a committee comprised of students, faculty, and staff will meet to review submissions. The winning speech will:
- Emphasize experiences unique to U-M
- Have an over-arching theme
- Be well-written
- Time out at four minutes or less
To assure fairness to all contestants, names on entries will be deleted for the selection process.
Deadline for submissions
Interested University of Michigan graduating students must submit their commencement speeches for consideration no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 12, 2014. (The commencement ceremony will be held at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, May 3, 2014 at Michigan Stadium.)
Submissions can be made by completing the Student Speaker Competition online form.
Requirements for submission
- Speeches must be typed and double-spaced. Please submit in both .doc and .pdf formats.
- Contestants also must include a curriculum vitae or resume—with e-mail address and local phone number—in both .doc and .pdf formats. A cover letter is not required.
- Each submission must include a recording of the author delivering her or his speech. Maximum length is 4 minutes, and any speeches longer than that may be disqualified. Please submit a .wav, .mp3, or .mp4 (ipod/itunes) electronic file.
For further information, call (734) 647-7900 or email email@example.com.